Total Intravenous Anaesthesia (TIVA)
Total Intravenous Anaesthesia (TIVA) along with Target Controlled Infusion (TCI) has seen a significant growth in popularity since its introduction in the mid 1990’s. Thanks to extensive developments in IV drug delivery, clinicians now have access to a variety of advanced syring pumps allowing them to perform TIVA in a safe and controlled manner.
With the introduction of advanced syringe pumps needing multiple IV access, clinicians and TIVA enthusiasts asked Mediplus to develop a safer and dedicated multiple infusion set. The first Mediplus “Dual TIVA Set” was launched at the end of the 1990’s and was an immediate success. All Mediplus IV products include features necessary for safe, convenient and cost effective TIVA delivery.
RED end caps are fitted at all connections complying with the UK Department of Health guidelines issued following Project Orcadian which reported on incidents with clear end caps and patient breathing circuits. See here for more information.
- When administering TIVA a non-return valve is always used on any intravenous fluid lineAll Mediplus IV sets and connectors include non-return valves:
Anti-reflux valve for the IV fluid line and anti-siphon valves for the syringe pumps
- Sites of intravenous infusions should be visible so they may be monitored for disconnection, leaks or infusions into subcutaneous tissuesMediplus products have soft distal end and/or J-loop configuration to reduce stress on the cannula site and therefore minimise risk of disconnection or cannula dislodgement
- When using equipment, it is essential that clinical staff know its uses and limitationsMediplus, in collaboration with clinicians and TCI pump manufacturers, regularly organises TIVA study days to provide training in TIVA/TCI
- Organisations give preference to clearly labelled intravenous connectors and valvesAll Mediplus products are clearly labelled for intended use. Our most popular product, the 3-way TIVA Set, is designed to allow a double infusion of drugs for TIVA as well as the administration of a third fluid under gravity.
OTHER THINGS TO CONSIDER:
Low priming volume lines, such as Mediplus’ micro bore tubing, should be used for drug delivery when using syringe pumps. This will reduce drug wastage after surgery and limit the impact of possible free flow.
The dead space (or common space), which is the volume where all drugs and IV fluids mix, should also be kept to a minimum. Mediplus multiple infusion sets have a short, wide bore, soft distal end with a small dead space to allow good flow for IV fluids and reduce stress on the cannula. When the IV drip is stopped, the delay in drug delivery is therefore minimal and when the drip is restarted the volume of drugs flushed into the patient is negligible. Risk of overdose is greatly reduced.
To facilitate the delivery of fluids during labour, obstetric anaesthetists from Coventry designed a triple connector, now rightly known as the Coventry Valve, that can be used for all theatre settings and is especially useful in obstetrics, ICU, HDU and orthopaedics.
The 3-Port triple connector, which has the same configuration as the Coventry Valve, has the added benefit of being non-PVC and has the highest flow rate of all products.
• Download Peripheral IV Connector Flyer
• Download Effects of Peripheral Access Devices on IV infusion Rates PDF
Routine induced labour requires the delivery of Syntocinon. The safest way to administer this is to use a syringe-pump connected to a peripheral access secured by an anti-siphon valve. This will prevent free-flow, eliminating the possibility of foetal distress. The Chalfont obstetric IV peripheral connector set is a Y connector designed to facilitate this procedure.
The compact design of these products aids patient comfort, makes them easy to affix and unlikely to dislodge.
Mediplus IV products include features necessary for safe, convenient and cost effective fluid and drug delivery including:
RED End caps at all connections comply with the UK Department of Health guidelines issued following Project Orcadian which reported on incidents with clear end caps and patient breathing circuits. See here for more information.
Peripheral IV Connectors
|Chalfont Obstetric IV Connector
|Coventry Valve Triple IV Peripheral Connector Set
|High Flow Y-Connector
|2-way Safe Connect
Along with infusion sets and peripheral connectors, Mediplus offers several extension sets to increase the flexibility of IV delivery.
The dual and triple TIVA – TCI extension sets are unique thanks to their siamese tubing and can be used to increase the length of a standard IV giving set. This is particularly useful when syringe-pumps are located away from the patient, i.e. MRI scans.
The single infusion line is a standard IV delivery line with an anti-siphon valve, and is offered as part of our New Advantage Range
The main features are:
RED end caps at all connections comply with the UK Department of Health guidelines issued following Project Orcadian which reported on incidents with clear end caps and patient breathing circuits. See here for more information.
|Triple MRI Extension Set
|Single Infusion Line
|Single Infusion Line